At Advanced Cosmetic Surgery of New York, we work with a wide variety of surgical candidates. Unlike other facial plastic surgery procedures, rhinoplasty can be appropriate for teenagers and young adults — particularly those who have experienced psychological side effects because of the appearance of their noses. Having an oversized or distinct-looking nose can take a toll on a teenager’s self-confidence, but our surgical team can help.
Nose Job Surgery Candidates
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) recommends waiting until the nose has stopped developing before undergoing rhinoplasty. This varies by individual, but happens at about age 15 for girls and 16 for boys.
In general, a nose job is suitable for individuals who:
- Are in good health (both physically and psychologically)
- Do not have any chronic illnesses which could increase the surgical risks or impair healing
- Do not smoke, or plan to quit at least two weeks prior to surgery and do not smoke afterward
- Are unhappy with the appearance of the nose or have trouble breathing through the nose because of structural abnormalities
- Have reasonable expectations of surgery
- Desire improvement but not perfection
- Understand the potential risks of surgery
- Make the decision to undergo surgery of their own volition
The Rhinoplasty Consultation
You should be prepared to discuss several things with our rhinoplasty surgeon. First, you will need to explain your expectations and desired outcome(s). You may bring in a picture of your “ideal” results, or ask to look through some of our before-and-after patient photos, so our nose job surgeon can reach a clear understanding of what you are looking for.
You should also prepare to discuss your medical history, including any medical conditions that you have, previous surgeries and any nasal injuries. You should bring in a list of the medications, vitamins and supplements that you currently take. The doctor may ask you to avoid certain medications right before your surgery.
He will also examine and measure your face and nose. Once he has an understanding of your goals, he will discuss your options and the likely outcomes of surgery. He can explain his proposed course of action and answer any questions you may have about the surgical experience.
Contact Our Rhinoplasty Surgeon Today
If you would like to schedule a consultation in New York City or Long Island, please call 631-499-1831 (Long Island location) or 212-206-0023 (NYC location).