The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery announced that, in 2011, more than 120,000 patients underwent a rhinoplasty procedure. This comes as no surprise, as even minor alterations of the nose can greatly improve aesthetics by bringing all facial features into balance.
If there were any surprise about this number, it would be that it wasn’t larger!
Indeed, surgery with our rhinoplasty surgeons from the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team is a popular treatment (and should be) considering that a nose job is completely customized to each patient. Still, there are several common myths surrounding this surgery.
5 Myths About Nasal Revision Surgery
- Rhinoplasty is a treatment for the wealthy. While you may commonly hear of the latest celeb to undergo a nose job, it is a complete myth that only the rich can afford this very accessible cosmetic procedure. In fact, there are some cases in which insurance coverage may be available.
- Only women seek treatment with a surgeon. Although women do make up a good portion of our nose reshaping New York patient population, this procedure is just as accessible and successful when performed on men. In fact, a nose job is chosen by men as their second most sought-after cosmetic surgery, following liposuction. Some men seek treatment from our rhinoplasty NYC and Long Island specialists to obtain more masculine features through the widening of a narrow nose, or to correct issues with symmetry.
- Rhinoplasty will affect the ability to carry off facial expression. Last we checked, it was BOTOX that caused muscles to freeze in a more natural state, not a nose job. The fact of the matter is that having a nose job will not impact facial expression negatively. If anything, by bringing out the best in other facial features, rhinoplasty may actually enhance the expression of emotions.
- Rhinoplasty is the most painful cosmetic surgery to recover from. This procedure is performed under general anesthesia so our patients rest comfortably while we sculpt a well-proportioned nose. Following the completion of their nose job surgery, the patient will be under the effects of local anesthesia for several hours, feeling very little discomfort. During the seven to ten day recovery period, dressings are kept on the nose to protect it and secure it into its new position or shape. Compared to other cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentation, recovery from a nose job is easily tolerated, with any discomfort managed with prescription pain medication.
- Any surgeon can perform rhinoplasty. This is an important myth to dispel, as changing your nose alters your entire face. Of course, a surgeon is a surgeon but not just any surgeon is licensed to perform a nose job. That being said, cosmetic surgeons and ear, nose and throat doctors who specialize in this area are better equipped to sculpt and define your nose than, say, a brain surgeon, or even a cosmetic surgeon who lacks specific rhinoplasty experience. Our surgeons from the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team have extensive expertise in the area of rhinoplasty so you know you’re in good hands. In fact, some of our doctors have over 30 years of experience!
Trust Your Nose Job to our Nose Reshaping New York Surgeons
Your nose is a central feature of your face that gets you noticed. To discover your best look, contact our rhinoplasty NYC practice at 212.206.0023 or our Commack, Long Island office at 631.499.1831 for your free consultation today!
*The surgeon’s qualifications described in this post may not accurately reflect who we have on staff currently. Please visit our “About the Doctors” page for specific information about our current surgical staff. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a registered trademark of Allergan, Inc.