A new report was released suggesting nose jobs may play a part in improving a person’s self-esteem and quality of life. This is an interesting finding because prior research on plastic surgery has revealed that breast augmentation has more of an effect on how people feel about themselves than nose jobs.
Dr. Joseph F. Sobanko from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania wanted to learn more about the effects of nose jobs and other procedures such as eyelid lifts and wrinkle smoothing injections. He collected 16 studies and reviewed quality of life responses participants gave after receiving surgery.
From his review, he found quality of life significantly improved after receiving a nose job or facelift. Participants reported having a higher self-esteem after nose jobs and eyelid lifts, and they reported a better body image after a nose job.
It’s likely the reason people feel so much better is because they likely felt insecure about their nose for a long time prior to surgery. Being able to improve that part of their body made a huge impact on their self-image.
When they feel better about themselves, they have a higher level of self-esteem. When they have a higher level of self-esteem, they feel more confident, go after more opportunities, and thus end up having a higher quality of life.
Factors to Decide on a Nose Job
Keeping this research in mind, you can use these factors to help you decide if you would benefit from a nose job. Ask yourself the following questions concerning your self-esteem:
- Are you ashamed of your nose?
- When someone comments on how good you look, do you immediately think about your nose and want to protest the compliment?
- Do you often think about how bad your nose looks?
- Do you tell yourself that you’re unattractive because of your nose?
- Do you try to pinch or move your nose hoping it will stay that way?
- Do you constantly worry that your nose is what everyone is looking at?
- Do you feel as though you are going to be a failure in life because your nose is undesirable?
- Do you blame your mother, father, or an accident as the cause of your nose?
- Do you often find yourself telling people how much you hate your nose?
- Do you have a difficult time laughing?
- Do you isolate yourself and feel depressed because of the way you look?
- Do you often point out the physical flaws of others to make yourself feel better?
If you’ve answered yes to most of these questions, you might benefit from a nose job. Once the object of your negativity is gone, you could feel better about yourself, which will improve your self-esteem and quality of life. If these feelings persist or get in the way of living a normal life, please speak to a mental health professional for advice before having surgery.
If you would like more information about this procedure, visit our highly-qualified plastic and cosmetic surgeons in Commack, Long Island or Manhattan, NYC. With a new nose through rhinoplasty surgery, you could end up loving your look and being happier with your life.
Call (631) 499-1831 or (212) 206-0023 for a complimentary consultation today to envision what you could look like following surgery.